Monday 13 October 2014

The Rise of Autolycus - Megagaming in Leeds (Part Two)

"You may present the Golden Fleece in a city-state of your choice, as long as you dedicate your Quest to the honour of Artemis..."

They say that pride comes before a fall. I'd like to add that the pride is often accompanied by a full stomach and sleepy head. We overheard someone say that Quests get harder, whispered Brain as he drifted off, but you're allowed to team up. My time is at hand, announced my heart, follow me to certain Glory! Thus, filled with quixotic bravery, I stepped aboard my ship once more. "To Colchis!" I exclaimed. The skeleton crew regarded me expectantly for several awkward moments."Nobody knows where Colchis is, do they?"
A large conference room is thronged with people clutching papers, cards and dice.
I know Colchis is in this room somewhere... any clues?
It was time to mingle with my fellow heroes. Broadly, they fell into two camps: those who languished at the bottom of the Glory rankings and those who were dead on their feet. I selected two: Peleus was a mighty warrior whose big blue eyes seemed to cry out, "please, just point me at something. I can think for myself no longer!" Coronus was an unassuming fellow of considerable Cunning. He wore the Cap of Hades, which allowed for undetectable escape, it seemed dishonourable to me, but I held my tongue. More importantly, he knew the location of Colchis, so the three of us set sail each in their own vessel. Had my brain been awake, he would have said, three ships, eh? Have you considered taking troops with you? Instead, however, he merely snored.

Coronus took the lead on the arduous journey to Colchis. It was the right choice, as he proved a superb navigator, but allowing another to lead my Quest did not sit well with me. Once we arrived in Colchis, we were met by King Aeëtes and his enchanting daughter, Medea. Accepting their hospitality, we were given leave to Quest for the Golden Fleece, providing that first we harness the fire-breathing Oxen of Aeëtes and use them to sow a field with dragon's teeth. At this point, the Tavern-keeper (Hero Control) appeared before me. He placed a Puissance counter in my hand, refreshed my Hero Cards and struck me ceremonially on the forehead. I peered up at him, utterly perplexed. "The gods have seen fit to bestow upon you the Divine Gift of Song," he declared.

"Do you wish to interact with Medea?" Quest Control, Paul, enquired. I remembered my very first conversation with Aphrodite, all those hours ago. I opened my mouth and Heart spoke for me, "I wish to use my Divine Gift of Song to win her heart." The dice clattered on the table and love found a way. Medea told me of her father's intention to betray us and gifted me the Ointment of Medea which granted the user invulnerability for a single day. I relayed what I had discovered to my companions. "Time to don the Cap of Hades and depart?" Coronus wondered.
"Nay," cried my heart, unwilling to abandon Medea. "Let this treachery come. We shall defeat it!"

Peleus had yet to enjoy her moment in the spotlight, so we stood back and watched as she harnessed the terrible oxen. Then, we sowed the teeth and the betrayal was upon us. Animated skeletons sprang from the earth and closed on us with malicious intent. If Brain had been present, he'd have pointed out to me that we had no army. He might have shouted to the room for a copy of the Ointment of Medea card, so I would actually know what it did. Best of all, he could have reminded me that we'd spent half an hour collecting Hero Cards that spelled out the word "φλεεχε", which may have been enough to convince Quest Control that I had the wit of Jason and could cause the skeletal warriors to fall upon one another. Brain, however, was still out to lunch and it appeared that our Quest would end in ignominy and death.

Lightning rent the skies and before our eyes had chance to recover from the blinding flash, we heard the voice. "MORTALS! LOOK UPON ME AND QUAKE!" Our battlefield had been darkened by the shadow of a thirty-foot tall, bronze warrior; the preferred form of Ares manifest. "I SHALL MOVE THIS OBSTACLE FROM THY PATH. IN RETURN YOU WILL DEDICATE YOUR QUEST TO ME AND DELIVER THE FLEECE TO MY FAVOURED CITY OF LAKONIA."

I peered up at the fixed expression of the avatar of war. I had so wanted to deliver the Fleece to my old friends in Arkadia, but they were not expecting such. The goddess on the other hand... how could I turn my back on her now? "I quest in the name of Artemis, great Ares, but in appreciation of your intervention I will deliver the Fleece to Lakonia!"

"I HAVE NOT COME TO BARGAIN, MORTAL. YOU WILL OBEY, OR ELSE."
With that, Ares struck his heel thrice upon the earth and the skeletons crumbled to dust.

The Quest for the Golden Fleece was almost complete and the news reached me that I had risen through the ranks to the prestigious title of Most Glorious Hero. Thus it was with great ambivalence that I led our motley trio of heroes back to the Quest table for the third and final time. The Fleece was guarded by a hideous serpent that never slept. Musick, however, has charms to sooth a savage breast. So, we formed a quartet; Peleus was a talented singer, I had the Divine Gift of Song, Coronus could just about hold up a tune and, best of all, he'd brought a professional bard. Before long the serpent was happy to lie peacefully at the roots of the tree while we retrieved the Fleece from its branches. Finally, we had to flee Colchis before the king became aware of our success and tried to make good on his betrayal. As far as I was concerned, Aeëtes had disgraced himself when he moved against us, so I saw no dishonour in now making use of the Cap of Hades. We took flight unhampered and, at Hellespont, we went our separate ways.
I am pictured laughing innocently at the start of the game. The badge on my chest reads "Least Glorious Hero".
Oh. how high you will climb, little man.
The Hand of Ares was at my back; I felt the urgency with which he desired his prize. I must attend to my affairs, my heart spoke aloud, then I shall settle my account with you, Ares. I stepped across the threshold of the Heroes Tavern and set my goblet upon the table. The Tavern-keeper looked up at me quizzically. "I am pretending to have business with you, o Tavern-keeper, until the gaze of Ares is elsewhere." I was pleased to see his expression of surprise. He asked me if I thought it wise to cross the gods. I looked down at my name sticker, it bore four black markers of age, "old men do not fear death." I smiled wryly, he laughed, and my guts turned to iron...

Images courtesy of Jim Wallman (Megagame Makers)

No comments:

Post a Comment